Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Settling down

Joe started helping his dad building houses on the weekends and during the summer when he was 14. He first toiled as a construction supervisor at 18. Since that time, he has built hundreds of houses, apartment complexes, churches, restaurants, and some other commercial projects too.

But never has he built his own house.

When Joe looks at any raw piece of land or building, he sees all of its potential in his mind. He is a visionary to the core.

When we decided on a building location, Joe could see the entire thing down to every detail. I, on the other hand, am treading water to keep up with him.

As I was reading my Bible, I came across this exhortation from God through Jeremiah 29, "Build houses and settle down."

Trained in Dallas, tested in Normangee, and commissioned to Austin. We know that this is exactly where we are supposed to be and the knowing has been so sweet.

Yet when we walked near our building site a couple of weeks ago and saw this...



it honestly took my breath away.

The hundreds of houses Joe built flashed before my eyes. Every prayer and ounce of sweat for each home warmed my heart. Every prayer we didn't have enough faith to believe.

All of the air was sucked out of my lungs and left me gasping backwards and choking back tears.

Our prayer for our soon to be pile of rocks and tile roof... to be a home for the family God has given us, a refuge for others and safe haven for ministry each day.

All over a septic system.

No comments: