Friday, July 16, 2010

New kitchen creation

Okay, so I was wanting something new for dinner last night. I remembered the most delicious thing that Schwan's man used to deliver was Mexican pizza. yum!

I tried to recreate my own version. Joe said it is in his top 3 things I have ever made. Now, that's not saying much but maybe you could help me tweak it for something fabulous.

Pizza Crust:

1 cup of warm water
1 envelope of dry active yeast
1 tsp of sugar

Let sit for 5 minutes until that becomes creamy.

Then add 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/3 cup of orange juice (it helps with the wheat flour)
1 tsp of salt

Knead, then let it rest for a few minutes.

Dust pizza stone with flour. Roll dough out onto stone and pinch around sides for crust.

In a saucepan, mix tomato paste with half a package of cream cheese. Spread mixture over dough.

Sprinkle with your favorite Mexican seasonings.

Then top with whatever toppings suit your fancy:

- seasoned taco meat
- diced olives
- black beans
- tomatoes
- diced jalapenos

Then cook for 20 minutes on 350.

Warning: Its very filling. Joe, Isaac and I only ate half and we are big eaters.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

js said...

Keep the recipes coming! I love new things to cook. Maybe you can start posting "Mel's Meal Mondays" on your blog each week. What do ya think??